Followers

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Rocksalt

I have been keen to try Rocksalt Folkestone for some time and last week got my chance.

The setting is simply stunning, there are few places where there is only a chic wooden deck between you and the sparkling sea.

I was pleased that the tide was in, so no muddy bottom just fishing boats bobbing around and chugging in and out of the harbour. Blue sky, then a sunset and even a rainbow all appeared to complete the scene.

Inside the curved design makes sure that every table gets the best possible view

To get a real sense of the place take a look at the link

rocksaltfolkestone.co.uk/

Drinks in the upstairs bar started the evening well, again great views.  We went for the a la carte menu plenty of choice but not too overwhelming. I had expected fish but there are plenty of other options, all locally sourced.

My first course of shells, clams, mussels and prawns glistening in a light covering of sauce and strewn with fresh herbs was very good. I was less use about the smoked cod brandade chosen by my friend. It was a vey strong taste and lacked the colour and contrast of my choice.

For main course his special of brill with mussels and broth was the winner. My local cod with seafood sauce was perfectly cooked but the sauce was uninspiring. A side of radishes braised in stock and butter was unusual and looked good.

Rocksalt certainly lived up to expectations although it is not a cheap night out. But just look at the view you could well be in the South of France.


No comments:

Post a Comment