Followers

Saturday 16 June 2012

Wasabi

Takeaway Sushi and bento is increasingly popular particularly in London. This week I passed through the magnificent new Kings Cross station twice and both times bought food from Wasabi.

My carry out eat on the train dinner of succulent sushi was very fresh.  It was the Harmony box set 15 pieces in total, there was plenty including
  • a selection of salmon, tuna, and shrimp nigri
  • crabmeat and avocado hosmaki
  • prawn mayo gunkan
  • californian rolls


As you can see pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi paste are included.  All for £6.95. I also had a packet of wasabi peas so hot they made my eyes water.

On my return the next day a late lunch snack of chicken gyoza noodle soup looked appetising

Perhaps I should of realised that two thirds of this dish comprised of rice noodles. There was very little broth and the fresh vegetables consisted of shredded carrot, a small amount of chinese leaf and one mange tout. Chilli, spring onion and coriander "garnish" added some interest. The prize was three delectable soft steamed chicken dumplings. I will not be going back for another noodle dish also this soup was almost the same price as last nights (too much to finish) sushi.

There are however a lot interesting Japanese alternatives hot and cold which I think are worth a try.
I also like the way you can fill a box with mixed sushi of your choice.



Wasabi is in its 10th year and the quite newly opened Kings Cross branch is number 26 in the capital.

The station has a lot of alternatives including Pizza Express, Giraffe, Pret, Benitos Hat (mexican) and Leon so there is no shortage of variety to sustain you on your journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment