Followers

Monday 18 June 2012

Ricks Crab Tarts

Rick Stein has been one of my favourite chefs for a long time. I just love his combination of food, humour, recipes, stories of local personalities and adventures across the globe.

Taken from his book on Spain crab tarts with garlic tomato and tarragon were by far the most mouthwatering appetiser that I have cooked for quite a while.


If you put Rick Stein Crab Tarts Spain into google you will find the full recipe courtesy of the Guardian. This will give you a full version of the method. Here are my shortcuts.

Use ready rolled short crust pastry (but do not re roll it as it will shrink) Cook your pastry in tartlet tins and allow to cool.

For the initial sauce instead of whole crabs use a fish stock cube in 200ml of water and just add this to tinned tomatoes, one whole garlic clove bruised, white wine, brandy, bay leaves, tarragon (I used dried) and parsley stalks in the quantities Rick describes.

Simmer for 30 minutes then strain through a sieve into a clean bowl. You should have a smooth rich tomato sauce.

In a separate pan cook the onion/shallot, carrot and chilli until soft. Add 225g of tinned tomatoes and the tomato sauce you prepared earlier. Season to taste.

I got to this stage and let everything cool. Later I added 300 grams of crab meat I used Cornish fifty fifty crab (white and brown mix) from seafoodandeatit.co.uk

I then put the tomato and crab mixture into the cooked tartlet cases and topped them with fresh breadcrumbs (2 slices of white) mixed with a couple of tbs of olive oil.

They reheated for about 8 minutes in 220 degrees/gas 7

and here they are








No comments:

Post a Comment