Followers

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Its Courgette Time

It is quite possible that this food diary entry will divide the crowd as courgettes do seem to be a love them or hate them thing.

Green courgettes are certainly the most popular although there are many different varieties, shapes and colours. Just a few plants will give you a steady crop throughout mid summer and into early autumn.

My recipe for stuffed courgette originates from my childhood when courgettes were far too exotic for us but instead it was the big watery beast that is a marrow. What made the marrow special (or even edible) then was the stuffing of peppery sausage meat, sage and onion and my recipe doesn't deviate far from that mix. It is also always served with frozen peas.


These round courgettes seed come from near Barcelona and seem perfectly at home in our climate and soil. On the face of is Rocalba seed seems expensive but the bag is large, the quality good and the range more interesting than many traditional variety's. My vegetable on the right bears a pretty good resemblance to the packet picture.


For preparing and baking the courgette I followed this recipe https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-provencal-courgette-recipe while the courgette was baking I fried diced onion and garlic in a little olive oil with chopped sage and thyme. I then added a generous portion of sausage meat which came ready seasoned with nutmeg and black pepper. For slightly more bulk I added some diced green courgette.

After 30 minutes in the oven the courgette was cooked through and still holding its shape. Fill with the sausage stuffing letting some fall into the cooking dish to flavour the sauce. There is no need to add liquid as the vegetable creates its own. I did however add half a pod of my favourite the chicken https://www.knorr.com/uk/knorr-products/stock-pots.html

Pop back into the oven for about 40 minutes I left the lid on the casserole dish as that way the "sauce" is generated. 

It is extremely hot once cooked so allow to stand for a few minutes while you cook the peas. I literally just bring them to the boil then serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment