Followers

Saturday 12 March 2016

Pig, Pork and Pies

This blog is certainly not a read for vegetarian friends but I was playing that silly game recently based on if you could only eat one type of animal for the rest of your life what would it be?


There was the usual debate of "oh a chicken is so versatile" and " it must be a cow as I can't imagine never having a juicy steak" again. My choice would be a pig. 

Roast pork with crunchy crackling and apple sauce never ceases to excite for a Sunday treat http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/pork

Then there are our Saturday bacon and egg sandwiches and wonderful pork belly with Asian spices and pac choi in oyster sauce http://www.recipefy.com/en/rick-stein-s-crisp-skin-port-belly-bbq-spice-rub/recipes/610 from my favourite Rick Stein the food hero's series and book. 

have written before about sausages, no ordinary sausages but the delicious Korkers which you can hear more about here http://annsfooddiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/korker-sausages.html made in Kent and now so popular with family around the country that I have to take supplies for them when visiting.

And what about pork pies? I once read that no one admits to buying a pork pie but they are one of the best selling supermarket products. Quite a draw on stalls at farmers markets too. Every so often I will make a pork pie. My first attempt was the mighty pie cooked for sharing at our village Jubilee party in the summer of 2012 http://annsfooddiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/mighty-pie.html

Last week I made two more. These are made far easier by my investment in decent quality solid pie tins with loose bottoms for easy pie release. 



Hot water crust pastry can be moulded into shape in the tin. The filling combines pork shoulder (I used value steaks) minced, and diced plus minced pork belly with some smoked bacon. Salt, pepper, thyme and mace are the seasonings. 


Once cooked and cooled chicken stock and gelatine are poured through a hole in the pie top to form the all important jelly.



3 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager it was my job to do the weekly family shop. I was allowed to buy a pack of mini Melton Mowbray to eat on the way home. I still have to stop myself doing it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teenager it was my job to do the weekly family shop. I was allowed to buy a pack of mini Melton Mowbray to eat on the way home. I still have to stop myself doing it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so delicious Nicola and a whole pack lucky you!

    ReplyDelete