Followers

Wednesday 15 July 2015

Monkfish and Summer Vegetables

I didn't really plan to cook much last night. After a busy day the idea was to relax and catch up on my latest must see programme My Kitchen Rules Australia https://au.tv.yahoo.com/my-kitchen-rules/ a sunny, often outdoor more energetic version of Masterchef.

Then a visit to the shops found a beautiful fillet of monkfish, some local summer vegetables tender broad beans and succulent sugar snap peas and a dish was in the making.



For the fish a Delia recipe which coated disks of the fish in a mix of plenty of black pepper and lemon zest with a little salt and some flour was perfect and only needed 2 minutes cooking on each side. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/fish-and-seafood/monkfish/monkfish-with-a-lemon-pepper-crust-and-a-warm-lemon-anchovy-vinaigrette.html

Lightly fried diced bacon was joined by a little chopped garlic and the sugar snaps. I  brought the board beans to the boil and plunged them into cold water to stop them overcooking then popped them out of their sometimes rubbery skins and added them to the bacon and pea mix. A squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh mint completed the dish.

While I was cooking I was thinking about the great combination of beans, peas and bacon and remembered a childhood dish called "blanks and prizes" interested to test my memory a search showed that sure enough http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/blanksandprizes.htm it was a traditional Shropshire dish although I think I prefer my version.

A quick meal that left plenty of time for 3 episodes of MKR Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment